No driver wants to think about the possibility that they could be involved in a car accident. However, knowing what to do in the event that you do get into a collision can potentially save your life. If you’re ever in a car accident (even a minor one), remember these simple steps.
- Move to a safe area. If you aren’t seriously injured or in a dangerous off-road location, move your vehicle out of the way of traffic. Shoulders of roads or flat off-road areas (like parking lots) are both ideal. If you cannot move your vehicle, turn on your hazard lights.
- Check on the other party. As soon as you’re out of harm’s way, take a deep breath and exit your vehicle. Check on the other party and see if they need medical assistance. If they do, call 911 immediately. Do not apologize for the accident or admit fault. Similarly, don’t lay blame on the other driver either.
- Contact the police. A police report can be an invaluable asset when it comes time to file an insurance complaint. Contact the police whenever you’re involved in an accident, even if it’s just a fender bender. If the police cannot make it to the scene (which is more likely if no one is seriously injured), keep a record of when you made contact with them.
- Exchange information. Try to write down as much information as possible about the accident as soon as everyone has received proper medical attention. Get the other driver’s name, license plate number, insurance information, and make and model of the vehicle. Give the other driver your information as well. If you have your smartphone with you, take photos of the accident scene.
- File an insurance claim. After you get off the scene safely, your car insurance in Bucks County will handle the rest. File a claim with your insurer through the correct channel and allow them to do the work for you.
Do you have auto insurance in Bucks County, PA? If not, you may be putting yourself in legal danger. Contact The Bachmann-Zeitlin Insurance Agency today at to get started!